We all go through times when we feel down in the dumps, but psychologist Dr. Cliff Arnall has determined that the third Monday of January, labeled Blue Monday, is statistically the most depressing day of the year.
What does this mean exactly? On January 17th, 2011– just a few days away– the majority of people will have a dark blue rain cloud following them around for the entire day (ok, not really, but you get the picture).
So why this specific day above all others? According to Dr. Arnall:
- It’s a Monday (and who really likes Mondays?)
- The weather is typically miserable
- People are receiving their bills from holiday shopping (booooo)
- Holiday vacation seems like a very distant memory
- Summer vacation seems too far away
- New Year’s resolutions are typically down the drain at this point
Feeling depressed yet? Well, there is a positive to the Jan. 17, 2011. This year, Jan. 17 happens to fall on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day– a day to celebrate the life and legacy of Dr. King.
But, we want to know, do you typically feel depressed at this time of year?