For many college students a dorm room is just that– one room only where you eat, sleep, study, relax, etc. So, it’s important to make sure your personal space is filled with positivity, creativity and comfort.
Enter– Feng Shui. Feng Shui can help you improve your living space, your environment and help you reflect a positive state of mind. With a few simple elements, you can greatly enhance your chi, the vital energy that flows through all living things.
Here are 8 simple ways you can Feng Shui your dorm or living space:
1. Put Those Books and Laptops Away. Books are said to act like sharp instruments, cutting through your sleep patterns at night. So, be sure your books are not facing you while you sleep. Plus, make sure your computer or laptop is not near your head while you sleep. This can cause stress. If you can’t move your computer, turn it off and cover it up at night.
2. Choose Calm or Warm Colors. Colors in your environment can greatly affect your mood. Warm colors like reds and yellows inspire creativity. Perhaps incorporate these colors near your desk or workspace. Cool colors like blues and greens are calming. Pick a comforter or blanket in a cool color to help you unwind.
3. Reduce Clutter. Walking or waking up to a room of clutter will only empower your negative chi. Organize your papers and notebooks on your desk prior to going to sleep. Also, donate those clothes you haven’t worn in a year and toss or recycle any unnecessary items you just seem to hold on to year after year. Getting rid of clutter will promote happiness and productivity in your space.
4. Incorporate Water. Water is an important element in Feng Shui symbolizing a healthy chi. Place a running fountain on your desk if possible. If not, perhaps hang a poster in your room of a waterfall, the ocean, etc.
5. Sage. Put sage and uncooked rice in a bowl in your room. This mixture is said to soak up negative energy.
6. Move Your Desk. The placement of your desk will either help or hinder your learning. Position your desk facing east, which will point you in the direction of wisdom. And if you can, sit at your desk with your back facing a wall. This will symbolize support as you study. If you keep dictionaries and other reference materials on your desk, keep them on the left side, which will promote knowledge.
7. Hang Mirrors. Mirrors reflect light, bring energy into a room and makes a room appear larger. But don’t place the mirror facing your bed, which may create a negative chi flow.
8. Flowers. Like colors, different typed of flowers can enhance your mood. White narcissus is said to being success, while chrysanthemums bring ease and balance. Don’t have a green thumb? Try keeping bamboo in your room, which is said to be lucky.