Before you brush this project off (coasters? who uses coasters?), you’re going to want to take a look at the latest DIY we’ve come across. Using your very own filtered-to-perfection Instagram photos and a few inexpensive materials, we’ll be crafting some customized coasters that will look cool on any surface. Think of it as a new way to display your favorite photos.
– 4in x 4in ceramic tiles (pick some up at Home Depot for only 39 cents)
– Mod Podge
– A foam brush
– Felt pads
– Clear, waterproof sealant (you can try Walmart for this)
– Printed Instagram pictures (one for each coaster)
1) First you’ll need to print your Instagram photos. The easiest way to do this would probably be to screenshot them on your phone and email them to yourself. Once you’ve done this, you can size them so they’ll fit the tiles and print. I used photo paper to ensure that the ink would not bleed when coated with the Mod Podge (plus, it’s sturdier). Cut out each photo square.
2) Mod Podge one coat onto each of your tiles. Place the photo square where you want it and press out any air bubbles. Let dry – wait 45 minutes to an hour to make sure it’s completely hardened.
3) Apply 2-3 more thin coats of Mod Podge over the entire tile and on top of the photo. It’s best to apply it both vertically and horizontally. Let dry for an hour.
4) To make sure the coaster remains water proof, spray a layer of sealant over top of it. Don’t spray too much or it will get goopy. Let dry (follow the directions on the can in order to determine how long you should wait). Spray a second coat of sealant and let that dry as well.
5) Add the felt pads to each corner of the underside of the tile. Most of these come with adhesive on the bottom but, if not, use some hot glue to attach them.
6) You’re done! Easy, right?
Send us some photos of your coasters – we’d love to see how they turned out!
Of course we had to Instagram ours once we were done!