The new semester is slowly – but surely – sneaking up on us. It’s easy to procrastinate when it comes to preparing for the new term, but we’re here to help you get ready sooner rather than later. Avoid the last-minute scrambling and take a look at our checklist below. Then, when it really is time to head back to school, you can focus on fun (rather than stress).
First, things first…
Let’s get started:
1. Order your textbooks.
2. Create a packing list to stay organized (look below for a great list to get you started!)
3. Purchase the items on your list that you don’t already have.
3. Spend quality time with your friends and family.
4. Eat at your favorite restaurant at home.
5. Make a picture collage to hang in your dorm room.
6. Talk to your roommate and get to know each other.
7. Schedule (and attend!) all necessary doctor appointments in and fill out any forms you may need.
8. Take a relaxing day off and enjoy a day trip to the beach.
9. Get a fresh new haircut.
10. Decide if you need a credit card or debit card.
11. Update your music.
- You do not need to bring every single thing in your closet! Chances are you will get a bunch of free t-shirts during freshman year; so don’t feel the need to pack every single one. Additionally, there’s a good chance you’ll visit home during Thanksgiving or Fall break, so hold off on packing all of your heavy winter items until then.
- Be practical when you are packing! If you didn’t wear something in high school, you probably won’t wear it in college. Consider donating unused items instead.
- If you can, keep your clothes on hangers when transporting them to school! It will save you so (re: SOOOOO) much time by not having to un-hang and re-hang all your clothes.
- Check to see what your school provides! For example, some schools may provide a microwave in a common room. Knowing this will save you money and space in your car when packing.
- Coordinate with your roommate. Make sure you know what he/she is bringing so that you don’t bring duplicates.
You’ve done all of the planning. You’ve packed your suitcase(s). Moving on to…
- Pick up your textbooks. The campus bookstore often gives you the option to pick up your order in-store…for free!
- Get your student ID card if you don’t have it already.
- Organize your room. Make sure everything is in order for the first day.
- Map out your classes so you know exactly where to go. Avoid the terror of walking into the wrong lecture hall.
- Keep your door open and start meeting new people!
- Check out your college bookstore and get a new t-shirt to display your school pride.
- Look at your school’s calendar for upcoming events, like homecoming.
- Think about how you will get involved! Check out different clubs, sports, or Greek life and see which interest you.
You’re all set! Get ready for a great semester ahead.
Written by Guest Blogger, Kat P. of Elon University