Most people might recognize Keegan Allen from his work in front of the camera, on the hit TV show Pretty Little Liars. For Keegan, however, his true passion seems to lie on the other side of the lens. An avid photographer since childhood, he has recently invited us to join him on a photo-filled odyssey in his new book life.love.beauty.
The book features a collection of photos organized into three categories – life, love, and beauty – with poems and stories woven in among the images. We had the opportunity to play “Fill-In-The-Blank” with Keegan in order to gain some more insight into the “man behind the camera”.
1. The moment I fell in love with photography was when I was 10 years old, my father gave me his camera and I took a photo of our next-door neighbor training his pigeons for racing.
2. My first camera was a Leica M6.
3. As a kid, I loved taking pictures of moments that impacted me and might impact others. [I wanted] the images immortalized.
4. The inspiration for my photos comes from an obsessive need to share moments of my personal human experience and relate to others.
5. I feel most relaxed when I have the sudden realization that every stranger exists within their own story…as exciting and intricate as my own. [They are] occupied with their secret motivations, networks, habits, fears and organic madness. All the while, they live this heroic life that continues – unnoticed – around me. And I am the same for them. That is, to me, the ultimate relaxing thought: we are never truly alone.
6. My favorite place to take photos is the beach at sunset or the forest in a rainstorm.
7. I love starting my day with a cup of great coffee.
8. When it comes to being on camera or behind the camera, I prefer both.
9. What makes me happier than anything is riding my motorcycle or writing love songs by candlelight.
10. The social networks I’m always on are Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.
11. If I couldn’t take photographs, I would draw or write a song about what needed to be captured.
12. My favorite part of working on this book has been reflecting on my journals and reliving the moments.
13. The one place I’m dying to take pictures of is Mount Roraima and the Pakaraima chain of tepui plateaus in South America.
14. My ideal day includes waking up with coffee and my cat, Minin, writing music, going to the beach, and taking photos. Then, at night, adventuring through graveyards and taking long exposures in the dark.
15. The one picture I really treasure is of someone that is not around anymore, but I still love them.
16. If I could photograph anyone in the world, I would choose the Queen of England.
17. In thirty years, I hope I am content, but still relentlessly ambitious.
18. When I first saw life.love.beauty in print, I felt emotional and excited to share it with the world.
19. The most important lesson I’ve learned is character is destiny.
20. My advice for young people looking to pursue their dreams is do what you love and do it often.
Are you dying to get your hands on a copy of life.love.beauty? Post your favorite photo to Twitter or Instagram using the hashtag #KeeganBNC – Keegan will choose his favorite to take home a signed copy! Official rules found here.
Or, order your very own today! Shop online here.