With Halloween quickly approaching, and on a Saturday no less, we can’t let you head out for the weekend sans costume. Because… c’mon show some spirit! But, if you’re not into the over-the-top costume OR in spending the big bucks on something goofy for your annual Halloween party, we’ve got some perfect DIY costumes that won’t break the bank…but may get you a few laughs!
1. Why be funny when you can be punny?
If you’re known for your sarcasm and quick wit, why not incorporate that into your Halloween costume this year?
- Grab your favorite all-black outfit…and some stamps and you’ve got yourself a clever interpretation of Blackmail. Just don’t forget to wander around your party threatening everyone!
- We love a good play on words, especially when it makes your fellow Halloween party-goers to think a little bit. Try Holy Cow or Oh Dear out this year! Doesn’t take more than a black and white spotted outfit with some wings and a halo to make our cow, and our ‘dear’? A little convincing face makeup, brown outfit, and your most creative ‘oh’ attached to your outfit and you’re good to go!
- And if you’re the type that really couldn’t be bothered but still want to be amusing, take a cue from our friend Jim on The Office and be a literal interpretation of everyone’s favorite social media platform…Facebook.
2. Couple up!
Halloween is one of those holidays better enjoyed with friends (aren’t they all!?) so grab a friend or two, or maybe even your S.O and put together something easy…plus it guarantees you have to stay together all night, can’t say no to a party buddy right?
- Grab your weekly TV crew and recreate your show! Whether you’re all about #TGIT or you’re glued to the screen for every. episode. of Pretty Little Liars and the Walking Dead, you can easily pull together some clever costumes from your favorite episode or scene this season. If you can’t find the items in your own closet, head to the thrift store, you may find the perfect piece!
- Really, what’s easier than transforming you and your S.O into this year’s celebrity IT couple? Whether you’re throwing it back to a classic couple (hello, the Britney and Justin all denim look?) or celebrating the couple that crashed and burned across reality TV in front of millions of viewers, you’re sure to have some fun imitating your favorite celebs!
- Ready to race? If you and your friends are the type to spend your weekends in epic Mario Kart tournaments, than this idea is most definitely for you. What’s better than dressing up as your favorite character and seeing how you play in real life!?
3. Get literary.
If you’re like us and love (and live) your favorite books, we encourage a Halloween inspired by some literary legends or your favorites…no guarantees everyone at the party will get the reference but we say go for it!
- Go old school…we’re talking take it back to Dr. Seuss. And what’s easier to become than those famous fishies we all learned to read with?
- Hester Prynne ring a bell? You may have struggled through Nathaniel Hawthorne’s The Scarlet Letter in high school, but doesn’t mean you can’t have a little fun with it now! Grab a black dress and create some Puritanical sleeves and collars and pin on a big ol’ A to complete the costume. Draw some inspiration from one of your favorite literary classics and get creative, you never know who may recognize (and respect) your costume as you head into a party!
- Have you ever gone a year without seeing a Harry Potter costume? Grab your favorite striped scarf and throw on a lightning bolt and glasses and voila! Of course, there’s many more options that just our friend Harry and it’s made all the better if you happen to have a red-headed best friend but hey, that’s what wigs are for!
How’re you celebrating Halloween this year? Share your costumes and best DIY ideas with us on Twitter OR in the Comments below!