Game days are the ultimate snacking occasion. Whether you’ve gathered your friends in front of the TV, or you’re parked outside the stadium for an epic tailgate, the experience just isn’t complete without some good grub. We’re talking hot wings…sliders…chips and dip…you get the gist of it!
Now that we’ve got your mouth watering, follow along as we dish out the perfect game day recipe: Queso Fundido.
** The following is excerpted from The College Cookbook: 100+ Fast, Fresh, Easy & Cheap Recipes published by Weldon Owen
Serve this decadent dip with sturdy tortilla chips or soft corn tortillas for scooping up the crispy sausage and melted cheese. To make it vegetarian, substitute 1 cup coarsely chopped sautéed mushrooms for the chorizo. If you like it spicy, stir in ½ cup fire-roasted poblano chile strips with the tomato just before serving.
Yield: 6 servings | Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 17 minutes
- 4 oz fresh Mexican chorizo, casing removed
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 Roma tomato, chopped
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lb Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Small corn or flour tortillas or tortilla chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a frying pan, brown the chorizo over medium heat, stirring and breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 6 minutes. Transfer the chorizo to a plate. Pour off all but about 1 Tbsp fat from the pan and add the onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 6–7 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the cooked chorizo, tomato, and 1 Tbsp of the cilantro.
- Spread half of the cheese across the bottom of a shallow baking dish. Top with the chorizo mixture and finish with the remaining cheese. Bake until the cheese melts, 4–5 minutes. Top with the remaining 1 Tbsp cilantro and serve with tortillas or chips for dipping.
HACK: REFRESH STALE TORTILLA CHIPS
To restore the crispness to stale tortilla chips, spread them on a microwave-safe plate and microwave on high for 10–20 seconds just until warm. The chips will become crisp when cool.
Do you love this simple recipe?
Find a bunch more just like it in The College Cookbook!
Check your campus bookstore for availability, or shop online here.